Monday, December 12, 2011

Chronicle - Trevor Schodel joins Western Suburbs Magpies

ALTHOUGH a “shire” resident now, Queensland-born Trevor Schodel developed his passion for rugby league from one of the best in the business.

Tommy Raudonikis (pictured) coached the young Schodel in the Queensland Residents’ team, but his heart was always with the Magpies and he often recounted stories from the old days for the young Queenslanders.

It was that passion that Schodel recalled when he heard the Western Suburbs Magpies coaching job was up for grabs.

“My ears pricked up. It was a chance to coach a NSW Cup team and a foundation club,” he said.

“I also thought of Tommy and his love of the club,” Schodel said.

The future of the Magpies has been precarious at best for several seasons, and Schodel knows he has an uphill battle as the club struggles not just to keep its senior team afloat but also be competitive on the field.

“One guy in rugby league told me I had the hardest job in the world ahead of me,” he said.

“I know it’s a challenge for myself and the players. I’m under no delusions - but our one goal is that we will be competitive.

“I’m not saying we will win the grand final but we will be competitive.”



Schodel already has attracted ex-Cronulla pair Eddie Sua and Nigel Millgate to wear the black and white next season. After a coaching stint in Group 6 several years ago, he recognises the talent in the Country Rugby League competition and said he will keep an eye on players ready to make the transition to the next level.

Prospective sponsors can contact club chairman Paul Dillion on 0409 385 484.

Article from the Macarthur Chronicle
http://macarthur-chronicle-wollondilly.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/trevor-schodel-joins-western-suburbs-magpies/

No comments: