Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Player (Rather, MASCOT!) In Focus - Morris!!!

This week the Ron Massey Cup takes a partial week off, with our boys putting their feet up.


We thought we'd give the guys some breathing space as a result and let them have a week without profiles. So, in their place, we've invited everybody's favourite Magpie, Morris, along to get to know him!

Morris and Ned Kelly at the SCG in 2013
What position do you play? Left wing and right wing!

Favourite colour: I have two! Black and White! (I like where this is headed!)

Weight: Half a stone, because people always say they can kill two birds with one stone, but they haven’t got me yet!



DOB: 13 March 2010, but my family has been in the business since 21 April 1928!

NRL team you followed as a kid: WESTERN SUBURBS!!!

Junior club: Wow, so many to mention! Eagle Vale-St Andrews, Fairfield United, Forbes, Bellingen, Zetland, Werris Creek, Ourimbah and many more! (I think maybe Picton and Glen Innes saw Morris too!)

Earliest football memory: Falling in love with the black and white jersey at Penrith Park!

Morris and Arthur Summons at the SCG in 2013
Produest Magpie moment? Carrying on the legacy of a champion magpie man and true gentleman in my Uncle Mark the Magpie and wearing these feathers that are such an important symbol of our proud club!

Sport you’d play if not footy: AFL, for the Collingwood MAGPIES!

Best advice received: Keep calm and hate Manly!!! (What a great guy!)

Morris and big Bruiser Clark at The Entrance last year
Most embarrassing moment? So many times I have tripped over things because my big magpie head doesn’t let me bend down to see the ground! A few years back at Penrith I actually walked on a photographer taking pictures on the sideline too, who wasn't too impressed!

Three people you’d invite to dinner: Greg BIRD, Captain Jack SPARROW and former Magpies fullback Danny PEACOCK! (I nominate Sheryl Crow to provide some music…)

Greatest fear: Heights! (What the hell?!)

Morris and his Uncle Mark at Lidcombe in 2012
Favourite song: We are the boys from Western Suburbs and Shake a Tail Feather!


What is your greatest footy highlight? Everytime I get to lead the boys out into battle is such a great honour and thrill but last year I had the privilege of being involved in the heritage round at the SCG to commemorate the 1963 GF and lead the parade of ex magpies champions around the ground in front of 22,000 fans. It was right up there with the best day of my life to represent the Wests faithful!


1 comment:

Spurwing Plover the fighting shorebird said...

If you ever ride bike in Australia look out for the Magpie their very agresive during their nesting season and the males can get very territorial and biligerant